History & Facts | Memorial Hospital
Memorial Hospital has served the people of Sandusky County and its surrounding communities since 1918. The long and generous tradition of caring at Memorial Hospital began even before the hospital was built.
Fremont Never Fails
In 1913, Mary Miller Hayes, daughter-in-law to President Rutherford B. Hayes, pledged $50,000 of her money, as well as her home, toward the construction of Memorial Hospital. This gift, however, could only be realized provided the citizens of Fremont raise an additional $75,000 for the hospital.
The matter rested until 1915 when members of the community went into action. Over the course of six days in October of that year, a whirlwind fundraising campaign known as “Fremont Never Fails” took place. The campaign resulted in $99,672 raised in addition to Mary Miller Hayes' initial $50,000 endowment.
Construction of Memorial Hospital began on August 14, 1916 on land donated by Mary Miller Hayes and her husband, Col. Webb C. Hayes, second son of President Rutherford B. Hayes. The hospital opened its doors on October 4, 1918.
View historical photos of Memorial Hospital...
Memorial Hospital Today
Today, Memorial Hospital is a 186 licensed-bed hospital with a medical staff of approximately 115 members, representing a variety of specialties.
State-of-the art surgical procedures; advanced diagnostic testing; a comfortable, family-oriented birthing center; an inpatient pediatrics unit and a wide range of ancillary services and facilities mean the citizens of Sandusky County have access to comprehensive health services, right in their own community.
It's no secret that Memorial Hospital has grown over the past several years.
- From 2011 - 2013, Memorial Hospital invested more than $10 million in facility and technological improvements. Visit memorialhcs.org/renovations to see some of the great improvements.
- In 2010, The Auxiliary of Memorial Hospital Women's Diagnostic Center opened, which provided digital mammography in Fremont Ohio for the first time.
- The hospital's emergency department also underwent a $1.7 million renovation in 2010.
- In 2007, the 29,000 square foot Herbert-Perna Center for Physical Health opened which houses the hospital's physical medicine department and HealthLink, Memorial Hospital's occupational health program.
- In January 2002, Memorial Hospital opened the 30,000 square foot Weitzel-Kern Surgery Center, which features six operating rooms, two endoscopy rooms, and eighteen private patient bays.
Memorial Hospital is an example of what a team committed to excellence can accomplish. As we continue to grow, you can be sure that the team of professionals at Memorial Hospital will strive to provide the best possible care in an environment that is focused on the comfort and well-being of each and every patient. It's that compassionate, personal care that makes Memorial Hospital special.
Read about all the health care services provided by Memorial Hospital...