History of the Auxiliary
When Memorial Hospital first opened its doors in 1918, a group of concerned women became actively involved with helping this non-profit institution provide quality care.
Since that time, the auxiliary of Memorial Hospital has assisted the hospital with three major expansions and has continually supported many other projects.
The Auxiliary provides its support by raising funds and providing services which help the hospital maintain outstanding quality healthcare.
Continuing fund-raising projects include the hospital’s gift shop, gold, book, and other special sales. Profits made from these projects are deposited into a general fund which is used for purchasing new equipment, redecorating hospital areas, financial support to hospital projects and programs, and sponsoring the annual employee’s Christmas party. Auxiliary funds also provide crayons and coloring books for children in Pediatrics, Emergency Room and the Waiting Room.
In addition to this, the auxiliary raises money for special projects. In 2008-2009 we paid $10,000 of our $50,000 pledge for lobby renovation. We also paid $10,000 for the landscaping at the Herbert-Perna Center for Physical Therapy. Our current balance is $20,000 of our $50,000 pledge for this special project.
The Auxiliary also funded for the Physical Therapy Department a Wii and Wii Fit, television, along with t-shirts, and water bottles for the new Step Up program. We are also sponsoring the Memorial Health Care “Kids Fest” through our Health Committee. Our annual Charity Ball raised over $11,000.
In 2008 a net profit of $22,392.75 was raised to benefit Mobile Meals through the Christmas Greetings Project. The program provided approximately 11,180 meals to Fremont residents who were unable to prepare their own. Volunteers deliver the meals along with a smile five days a week.
The Auxiliary of Memorial Hospital offers Health Education Scholarships to residents of Sandusky County each year. Scholarship applications are available in January. Scholarships are awarded early in May of each year to students entering or have been in a health related profession and wish to continue their studies. The scholarship program has been in place for more than 37 years. The fund is supported by the Auxiliary through the Charity Ball and by contributions from the Physicians of Memorial Hospital and Al Nichols. The Mary C. Dalton Scholarship is given each year and is sponsored by the Memorial Hospital Medical Staff. This fund was established in 1957 in honor of Mary C. Dalton, RN for her 25 years of dedicated service to the hospital and to the physicians. It was their hope that a deserving student would continue their education in nursing. The Nichols Nursing Scholarship fund was donated for the first time in 2008 by Community leader Al Nichols. For 2009, nine healthcare students received $28,000 in scholarships.
Besides the Auxiliary itself, there are over 25 other areas in which Auxiliary members can volunteer their services. Please contact any auxiliary officer, one of the chairpersons, or the Director of Volunteer Services if you have any questions.